Thursday, June 16, 2011

So Fresh & So Clean~ White…the UN-FORGIVING Fabric

Ain't nobody dope as me I'm dressed so fresh so clean (So fresh and so clean clean)
Don't you think I'm so sexy I'm dressed so fresh so clean (So fresh and so clean clean)
Ain't nobody dope as me I'm dressed so fresh so clean (So fresh and so clean clean)
I love when you stare at me I'm dressed so fresh so clean (So fresh and so clean clean)



I know you are bobbing in your chair as you recite the words to my favorite rap group OUTKAST's lyrical genius. This song captivates how we look and feel when we get "dressed" or as the old folks would say…"sharp as a tack". White exemplifies the essence of summer. The color white connotes purity and innocence. Wearing white well, however, is a little more complex than the simplicity suggested by the color. Whether you choice is a ultra-feminine sun dress, pencil skirt, sexy shorts, snazzy capri's, or the classic white jeans..wearing white can be tricky. The ability to pull off white and get it right should be easy, however many people…both male and female often fail at their attempt. White shows all of your imperfections, but if done properly you can look amazing, classy, and stylish. Knowing your personal limitations and what your body can and cannot wear goes a long way! Here are a few things to consider when attempting to wear white.


1) Just like style…white is not for everybody. White does not suit all people but it is a color many can wear without problems (provided the fit of the garment looks good). Warm skin tones go well with white; if you have a tan or naturally dark skin, white looks absolutely amazing. If white makes you look washed out, avoid it or try color blocking to make the look more appealing on you.


2) Select a high quality fabric…this is definitely NOT the color to be cheap in. Avoid trendy stores and purchase in stores that offer a better quality fabric.Quality fabrics are less likely to be see-through and play peek-a-boo with all things underneath. Only purchase white garments that are lined. Look for heavier cotton counts, linen and some man made fabrics as long as they are lined.


3) Check the transparency factor. When you shop for white garment, check the transparency factor. White fabrics are often see through and leave little to the imagination of what you have beneath. To do this follow these three simple steps: 1)Place the dress up against the light. 2) Hold your hand behind the garment, and under the garment. 3) Look for your hand and see how obvious it is. If you can see the color and form of your hand, that garment is going to show everything underneath creating a fashion tragedy!


4) Avoid clinging white dresses. White is not a color that lends itself to good flattering when it clings to your curves. White is not imperfection friendly. Select white dresses that billow, flounce and flow. White is about summer, freedom and breezes, so make sure that the dress reflects these features well. I suggest purchasing your item a size larger and having it tailored to fit your body. A great tailor is your friend.


5) MOST IMPORTANT TIP
(RED LIGHT SPECIAL) Wear underwear that is the same color as your skin. Do not wear white underwear, or any other color (other than your skin color) for that fact. Skin-toned underwear will ensure that nothing peeps through to draw the eye to the wrong place; use skin-coloured slips, underpants and skin-coloured bras. So, for all of my chocolate sisters…please select a chocolate bra and underpants…light skin honey's…please select a nude bra and underpants. A slip may seem old fashion, but it serves a one of your best pieces of armor to keep everything in tact….plus you will thank me later when your man sees it. Keep it sexy but clean!!


6) Don't be afraid to make it your own. Just because the invitation calls for white does not mean you can't add your own "sparkle" to it. Great accessories can change any outfit from frumps to frills. Select funky earrings, belts, glasses, and shoes to make you the shining star! With any outfit, your attitude is the best thing you can ever wear!

So…as you accept invitations to white parties across the nation, keep these things in mind. Frankie Beverly and LisaRaye make it look good, and so can you! Stay Fresh & So Clean…and if you need me to go shopping with or for you…call me because fashion is truly my passion and shopping is really my therapy!


Additional Tips from the Experts:




  • White has a "goody-two-shoes" image. It is recommended to show a little skin if you want to challenge this image a little. 
  • White at work should only be worn when the clothing item fits really well and is of good quality. Most white dresses are likely to be too summery and carefree to suit the seriousness of a business environment. 
  • White isn't always a great color if you're raising children. It won't be white for long after picking them up and running after them. Save it for the special occasions when someone else is in charge of them for a few hours. Or, purchase white fabrics that will hold up to getting bleached every time the kids attack! 
  • A slip is not just something your grandmother wore. Investing in a high quality, skin colored slip may be a lifesaver. (And as a plus, most men find a little slip peaking out when your skirt flutters very sexy.) 
  • A white dress is super cute but you don't want it to look too revealing so be sure to wear skin-colored undergarments when wearing one.



    White is my official Summer 2011 colour…so look for me out and about in plenty of bangles and lots of sparkle!







    Smiles and Sunshine…Princess Dee

    6 comments:

    1. So glad you posted about "skin-colored" undergarments. So many of us were raised with the notion that you only wear black under white, regardless of your skin color, and I HATED seeing that on my fairer-skinned sisters. Beige has ALWAYS been my friend. LOL

      Great post, Dee!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thanks for the tips Princess Dee! And I agree with Lisie about the 'black under white' fashion statement we were raised with.

      ReplyDelete
    3. I'm not grown enough for white - I feel like I will always spill something LOL. BUT when I see a fly white outfit rocked the correct way, I am ALMOST tempted to try white. With your tips - maybe I'll get one good white dress for this summer!

      ReplyDelete
    4. I especially love the tip on high quality fabric. It really make a difference.

      ReplyDelete
    5. The undergarment tip was much needed. I am guilty of wearing black under white.

      ReplyDelete
    6. Great tips! White is my staple for the summer (no, I am not LisaRaye:o)

      Miss Fancy

      http://ohyoufancy.blogspot.com/

      ReplyDelete